Saturday, 18 May 2013

El Tapeque

Cochabamba has a great circus life. I went to watch a circus performance up in the hills above my house in my first week here, with Sian from my class in Cork and her roommate Thomas. Before arriving I had thought it was a small street performance we were goin to watch and was happily surprised to see a beautiful circus tent and lots of people about. I felt like a child, I was so excited.
El Tapeque during the day.
 Went we arrived it was 7 in the evening and there was a power cut in the city so we had to wait outside. For a while I was worried there would be no performance at all, but was reassured when fire jugglers came out to entertain and a lovley clown came over and explained the electricity would be back on soon.
Jugglers from Performing life

Eventually we were allowed to go in they filled the place with candles and just as the performace was about to begin the lights came on, a big cheer errupted and ended promptley in anticipation for the show.


It started off with a clown teeling a little girl the story of El Tapeque. What followed was an amazing selection of acts from different groups all over cochabamba. To kick start the performers was a local group of drummers.Two of the performers were walking on stilts and the even had a fire breather.

There were lots of performers from Performing Life. A local NGO which helps young street children make an income thorugh creative means. Many of them have learned very impressive circus skills in juggling, diabloing, unicycling and poi. 



We also got many giggles from three Mexican clowns. Our friend Thomas was brought up on stage with them, to pester him. They were way to funny.

I left el tapeque with sore cheeks from smiling so much, it was such an amazzing evening

No comments:

Post a Comment