Thursday, 2 May 2013

Primero Mes in Cochabamba


I have been living here over a month now and life here is good and my Spanish is so much better than it used to be.So happy about that.

The beautiful view of mountains from La Paz Airport 

I live in a modern apartment with a lovely family : Mariel (my 25 year old Bolivian sister) , Rocio ( my Bolivian mum ) and Dasha (my Bolivian pregnant shiatsu). I live 5 minutes by Trufi to the centre of town and have a great roof 11 stories up which I can see the whole city from. (A trufi is a people carrier taxi that you can hail down anywhere and costs 17c all over the city). I love living with a family here, it makes me feel very at home and we eat together some of the time. The daughter is studying medicine, the mum owns a baby clothes shop. They also have birds which like to sing all the time. 



Dasha awaiting her three little puppies. 

The other students from Ireland ; Phoebe , Tom and Aishling live in a lovely apartment not far from me. We had a Mexican themed dinner party there last week because the girls bought ponchos and we wanted to drink tequila. 

Our first taxi journey into Cochabamba. 

I work five days a week in Proyecto Horizonte, Monday and Tuesday from 1-6 and Wednesday to Friday 8-6. In the mornings I work with nutritionists in the centre and in the afternoon I work assisting a teacher in the school. The class I work with has 33 students aged 6-7, they are great and are the main reason I have improved so fast in Spanish.Proyecto is an amazing organisation, with so many people who work very hard to make it such a success. The staff are really supportive and good fun too, twice a week there are staff basketball matches. So far our team los voluntarios has never won, 3 Irish, 1 French and 2 Germans. The Bolivians whoop our ass every time.

The class I work with and their teacher on Dia del NiƱo 

I have two Spanish classes for two hours on Monday and Wednesday evenings. My Spanish teacher, Maria is amazing and they are one of my favourite parts to the week.

The culture in Bolivia is nice and relaxed. They have pretty good food, I have become a bit of a carnivore here, its easiest and the meat here is very good. I had the best steak of my life recently in an Argentinian Barbecue Restaurant. The food is much cheaper to eat out than to eat at home. Which is great, as its nice and social. We go out most weekends, the clubs here are fun and play brilliant music. I am getting salsa lessons and will have dancing hips in no time. 


La Estancia 

We have left the city twice to go to a lake north of Cochabamba called Angostura.A friend of ours has a house there right on the lake. It was beautiful, we had barbeque's, danced and swam.Last weekend we went to visit Christo de Condorda. The biggest statue of Christ in the world, the most famous is that in Rio but this one is slightly bigger, the view from the top was absolutely beautiful.Our next adventure is next weekend when we plan to go to Chapari, a jungle east of the city. Where we are going to visit monkeys, go rafting and zip lining.


Angostura, Kate and the Beatel 


No comments:

Post a Comment